Monday, May 2, 2011

Spanish Seafood Paella

Greetings my fellow food eaters, 
First of all I have to apologize for being gone so long. I was on a beautiful and refreshing vacation in southern Europe. During my trip i have been influenced by a lot of inspiration. Today I present to you the first sea food dish this page has ever seen. :)






Business as usual, Read More for step by step pictures, Ingredients and preparation time.



This isn't as easy and as fast prepared as my usual stuff, I hope you try it out either way. It's very delicious and seafood is generally healthy.


Ingredients:

  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 cup rice
  • 15-20 mussels
  • 11-12 small clams
  • 10 shrimp
  • 2 chicken thighs
  • 1-2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 chorizo
  • 1 medium can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 breeze saffron
  • 1 tbs paprika powder
  • lemon wedge
  • salt and pepper
Preparation and cooking time combined: 60-70 minutes

Let me first say that you can always use your own imagination. If you like different types of seafood feel free to add or exchange stuff however you like. If you need some inspiration: Lobster tails are awesome, same goes for calamari.

First, heat up a pot together with some oil, season your chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Throw into hot pan.



Cook for about 8-10 minutes and flip. It should be evenly brown (in the center) on both sides.



Put chicken out of pot, slice up your chorizo into thin even pieces, like this.



Throw into same pot. After letting them cook for 2 mins on each side, remove them from pan.



Now, add onions to the pot. Let them turn translucent and add rice. Pay attention, don't let the onions burn (which I did, lol)



Add the paprika powder and cook for 3-4 minutes. Rice should also start turning translucent now.



Meanwhile, heat up your chicken stock in a different pot, add saffron if you can. It adds a nice unique flowery flavor. Unfortunately no pictures of it in the pot, but here it is sitting and waiting to be combined into my main pot.



Now, add the tomatoes and the tomato paste to the rice. Let everything sit for a while so the rice can absorb all the tomato flavor.



Pay attention to the Pot, if you see some of the tomato liquids evaporate its time to add the chicken stock. Don't add it all the way, only add as much until the rice is covered.



Put in that lonely chicken thigh back into the pot.



Cover it with a lid (or a plate :D ) for about 10 minutes and turn the heat down to low.
Stir it once or twice so the rice doesn't burn. Also add more stock if liquid gets low.



Prepare your seafood (aka clean and shell).


Throw the seafood plate in the pot together with the chorizo. Try to bury your shells as they take the longest to cook. Cook for another 6-8 minutes on low heat with lid on.



Add some herbs and you are done!


Enjoy :)

34 comments:

  1. I already made lunch today , maybe next time, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually I like paella but that looks really sloppy >.<

    I bet it tastes amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good, 60-70 mins are quite a lot though. I might try it in the weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy shizzz this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh god this looks awesome :Q_

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmMMmm ... thank you now I'am hungry .. and it's so late that's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful paella, I haven't had one in so long. Absolutely love seafood but just don't eat enough of it, I would eat it every day if I could :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great!
    it morning here now but I might try this for dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My highschool spanish teacher brought me some of this for lunch one day! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm getting really hungry and stumbling upon this didn't help me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love paella. following

    ReplyDelete
  13. Portuguese dude in here, eat this at least once a month, and it's pretty tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well this looks like something i used to eat in the south of France :D Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice, you must have a bunch of other great recipes from your trip as well, can't wait to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Danggg. That looks sooo yummy. I might have to try making this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice, saffron is so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks amazing, good work pal

    ReplyDelete
  20. As I'm not really a friend of paella this is not for me. Looks delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks good besides the lemon peel or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  22. man that looks really delicious

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looking at that makes me hungry :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I freakin' love seafood, and I freakin' REALLY LOVE PAELLA! It's so bad reading this @ 6 in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't like shellfish but that looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks great i bet it taste wonderful

    ReplyDelete